Refreshing Caribbean Dish that is quick and easy! Great for lunch or as a side dish to accompany Jerk Chicken. Pair with a fruity and berry filled Australian Shiraz! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 2⁄3 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1⁄3 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vermouth (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lime, quartered, for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, turmeric, cumin, 3/4 teaspoons of the salt, black pepper, and rice.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Add water and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done.
- Remove bay leaf.
- In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine rice, beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, vermouth (if using)and parsley.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Serve with lime wedges, if using.