1/2 Photos of Black Bean & Yellow Rice Salad
Refreshing Caribbean Dish that is quick and easy! Great for lunch or as a side dish to accompany Jerk Chicken. Pair with a fruity and berry filled Australian Shiraz! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 2/3 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (from one 15-ounce can)
- 1/3 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vermouth (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lime, quartered, for serving (optional)
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat in a medium saucepan.
- 2Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in garlic, turmeric, cumin, 3/4 teaspoons of the salt, black pepper, and rice.
- 4Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- 5Add water and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- 6Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is done.
- 7Remove bay leaf.
- 8In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine rice, beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- 9Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, vermouth (if using)and parsley.
- 10Toss gently to combine.
- 11Serve with lime wedges, if using.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean & Yellow Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (493 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.3
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 979.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 12.4 g