Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A quick and healthy chili because it is filled with good for you stuff.
Make and share this Black Bean Sweet & Hot Chili (Vegetarian) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb frozen bell pepper (stir-fry -- red, green, and yellow peppers; do not thaw)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 cups canned black beans, drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 4 cups rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add onion, celery, stir-fry mix, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are limp. Add 2 1/2 cups beans, tomatoes, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to boil, adjust heat so it bubbles lightly.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Mash remaining 1/2 cup beans and mix into chili, cover and simmer slowly untils flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as necessary.
- Mound rice in heated deep platter, spoon chili on top, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
My fiancÃ© and I loved this chili! He dislikes bell peppers of all kinds, so I had to omit those. Otherwise, a good, solid vegetarian chili recipe.
This is one of the best chili's i have eaten. It even won a contest at my work. It not only tastes great, it looks great too with the added color from the peppers