This was DELICIOUS!!! From Vegan with a Vengeance. Maple syrup adds the perfect touch
Make and share this Black Bean, Mushroom & Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onions in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their moisture.
- Stir in the chili powder and salt.
- Add the quinoa and 1 cup of the tomato sauce (reserve the rest) and the water; lower the heat and cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350º F.
- To prepare the peppers, boil a pot of water. Cut the tops off the pepper and remove the seeds and ribs.
- Boil the peppers for 5 minutes, and then drain them.
- When quinoa is finished simmering, combine the beans and maple syrup with the cooked quinoa mixture.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling, and stand them upright in a baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over the peppers, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; garnish with cilantro, and serve.