I make this all the time for parties, bike trips, whatever. Everyone loves it because it has a nice kick to it.
- 2 cups black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon oil (I use vegetable)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minuced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon arbol chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about one lime)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Mash beans in a processor.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, onion, and garlic and cook until onion softens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chile powder and mix again, cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add mixture to beans in processor along with chipotle, lime juice, and cilantro and process until smooth.
- Bring on the chips.