Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Don't let the unusual combination scare you....this is delicious! Very healthy, too.
Make and share this Black Bean Chili over Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups diced red bell peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Saute bell pepper and onions in a small amount of broth or water over medium heat until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in spices, tomatoes, and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add squash and jalapeno. Cook, covered, about 6 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Place one peeled, slightly mashed sweet potato on each plate. Top with chili and drizzle with freshly squeezed lime juice, if desired.
This recipe was so delicious, I have made it twice in one week. The sweetness of the sweet potatoes goes beautifully with the spices of the chili. I am so excited that I love this recipe so much because when you think about the health factor, this has got to be one of the healthiest meals ever! I doubled the can tomatoes because the first time I made it, the chili came out a little dried out.
I substituted eggplant for squash (salting it to remove bitterness), and omitted the jalapeno. Neat recipe! I will add that the servings are huuuuge and filling. Surprisingly meaty. Might eat the rest with a dollop of sour cream. Yum!
Very healthy and simple to make. I've been looking for recipes that include healthy stuff like sweet potatoes and beans and this fit the bill. I started out with only half of the chili powder, cumin and jalapenos, but then added the remainder. It wasn't hot at all. I like the idea of serving the chili over sweet potatoes. Didn't miss the meat at all.