Prep 40 mins
Cook 1800 hrs
This recipe from the north of England makes an excellent accompaniment to cold meats.
Make and share this Beet Relish recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs beets, cooked and diced
- 1 lb white cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 ounces fresh horseradish root
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 20 fluid ounces malt vinegar
- 1⁄2 lb sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring slowly to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into pre-heated jars and cover at once with airtight and vinegar-proof tops.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place and leave to mature for 2-3 months before eating.