This is THE most basic recipe for Indian rotis or chappatis (sometimes called phulkas). While it is a 2-ingredient recipe, mastering the art of making the 'perfect roti' takes some practice, but the results are well worth your while! Rotis are so versatile that they can used as 'bread'... use them with just about anything! For the uninitiated, they are sort of like Mexican fat-free tortillas! (Prep. time includes resting time for the dough)
My Private Note
- 1In a large bowl, add the flour, making a small depression in the centre.
- 2Pour 1/4 cup water into the flour and start mixing with the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- 3Add remaining water as required, until the flour comes together to form a dough.
- 4If the mixture is too dry and falls apart, add some more water; if it is too sticky and sticks to your fingers, dust it with some more flour.
- 5Now knead the dough well for about 5 to 10 minutes; the more you knead it, the softer your rotis will be.
- 6Cover and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 7Heat a heavy skillet on a low flame.
- 8Meanwhile, divide the dough into 6 lemon-sized balls and roll into 7-inch circles on a generously floured board using a rolling pin, adding sprinklings of flour to keep the roti from sticking to the rolling pin.
- 9Once the skillet is sufficiently hot, place one roti on it and increase the flame to medium-high.
- 10After about 20 seconds, turn the roti and cook on the other side.
- 11When small-medium bubbles start to appear on the surface of the roti (about 1 minute), remove it from the skillet, remove the skillet from the flame and turn the roti over directly on the flame.
- 12It should puff up completely; you might need some practice with it.
- 13Once it puffs up, remove it from the flame and serve hot with any vegetable side!
- 14Oh, and repeat the cooking procedure for all 6 balls.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Rotis or Chappatis
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g