Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is used for basic bread making. Replace whole wheatflour with bread flour and you can make a variety of white breads.
- Sprinkle the yeast over 1 1/4 cups water at about 70 degrees.
- Leave to dissolve about 5 minutes.
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour the disolved yeast mixture into the well.
- Stir the mixtures together using your fingers in a circular motion.
- As dough forms, knead it with the heel of your hand, either in the bowl or on a lightly floured surface.
- Add remaining water as needed.
- Knead until dough is elastic.
- Let relax (rise) until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has relaxed and doubled in size, lightly punch down the dough.
- Form a ball and let relax.
- To know when dough has relaxed enough, press one finger into it.
- If the finger impression stays, the dough has relaxed long enough.
- If the impression doesn't stay, it hasn't relaxed long enough.
- Shape the dough into a long loaf.
- Turn the dough over into a cup of flour spread on the countertop.
- Let rise until double in size.
- Carefully turn dough over and place on cookie sheet.
- Cut five diagonal slashes, each about 1/4 inch deep, across the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- To check, remove loaf from pan.
- Holding it with a towel over your hand, tap the bottom of the loaf.
- If there is a hollow sound it is done.
it was my first time making bread and I thought I'd try your recipe. However, I'm pretty sure there was some kind of typo in the flour amounts because when I mixed it all together, it was a BATTER--I think I had a mini panic attack. I had to add about double the stated amount of flour to make it into bread dough. The resulting bread was quite nice, though.