1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is used for basic bread making. Replace whole wheatflour with bread flour and you can make a variety of white breads.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle the yeast over 1 1/4 cups water at about 70 degrees.
- 2Leave to dissolve about 5 minutes.
- 3Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- 4Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour the disolved yeast mixture into the well.
- 5Stir the mixtures together using your fingers in a circular motion.
- 6As dough forms, knead it with the heel of your hand, either in the bowl or on a lightly floured surface.
- 7Add remaining water as needed.
- 8Knead until dough is elastic.
- 9Let relax (rise) until doubled in size.
- 10Once the dough has relaxed and doubled in size, lightly punch down the dough.
- 11Form a ball and let relax.
- 12To know when dough has relaxed enough, press one finger into it.
- 13If the finger impression stays, the dough has relaxed long enough.
- 14If the impression doesn't stay, it hasn't relaxed long enough.
- 15Shape the dough into a long loaf.
- 16Turn the dough over into a cup of flour spread on the countertop.
- 17Let rise until double in size.
- 18Carefully turn dough over and place on cookie sheet.
- 19Cut five diagonal slashes, each about 1/4 inch deep, across the top of the loaf.
- 20Bake at 425 degrees until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 21To check, remove loaf from pan.
- 22Holding it with a towel over your hand, tap the bottom of the loaf.
- 23If there is a hollow sound it is done.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Loaf Bread
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.2
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 350.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.4 g