Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Prevention Magazine's MasterCook Cookbook published with the MC disk
Make and share this Barbecued Tofu With Onions and Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup reduced sodium ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 medium green peppers
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- First the tofu should be waterpacked or cotton. Do not use silken it won't work. Freeze the tofu. Thaw completely. Then press to drain. To press: wrap tofu in cheesecloth or paper towels to help keep shape if desired. Next place on a cutting board set at a slant. Place a heavy dinner plate on top. Let the plate do it's work. Let for at least 10 minutes.
- Seed the green peppers and cut into strips.
- Now lets do some cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- In baking dish [2qt], combine ketchup, mustard, water, oil, garlic, black pepper, liquid smoke and hot sauce.
- With long side of tofu facing you cut into 1/2 inch slices starting at short end. Dip both sides of the slices in the kechup mix. Put on plate and set aside.
- Dip onions in ketchup mix. set aside.
- Put the green peppers in the mix. Let them in the dish they form the bottom. Arrange the tofu on top of the peppers then arrange the onions on top of the tofu.
- Use foil to cover and bake 15 minutes.
- Place on the rice and serve.
- You may also marinate the tofu in the ketchup mix if you like for a while. This would make the taste better for new tofu users [trust me].
Very good! This has a strong flavor of mustard so keep that in mind in case someone doesn't care for it. I loved it! I used a red and a yellow pepper instead of the green and I cooked it about 40 minutes (I like the veggies soft). Oh, and I did marinate the tofu for a few hours before hand and I definately recommend it. Thanks!