1/1 Photo of Barbecued Tofu With Onions and Peppers
That is Dr House to you's Note:
From Prevention Magazine's MasterCook Cookbook published with the MC disk
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium ketchup
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 medium green peppers
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1First the tofu should be waterpacked or cotton. Do not use silken it won't work. Freeze the tofu. Thaw completely. Then press to drain. To press: wrap tofu in cheesecloth or paper towels to help keep shape if desired. Next place on a cutting board set at a slant. Place a heavy dinner plate on top. Let the plate do it's work. Let for at least 10 minutes.
- 2Seed the green peppers and cut into strips.
- 3Now lets do some cooking.
- 4Preheat the oven to 375º.
- 5In baking dish [2qt], combine ketchup, mustard, water, oil, garlic, black pepper, liquid smoke and hot sauce.
- 6With long side of tofu facing you cut into 1/2 inch slices starting at short end. Dip both sides of the slices in the kechup mix. Put on plate and set aside.
- 7Dip onions in ketchup mix. set aside.
- 8Put the green peppers in the mix. Let them in the dish they form the bottom. Arrange the tofu on top of the peppers then arrange the onions on top of the tofu.
- 9Use foil to cover and bake 15 minutes.
- 10Place on the rice and serve.
- 11You may also marinate the tofu in the ketchup mix if you like for a while. This would make the taste better for new tofu users [trust me].
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Tofu With Onions and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (461 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.6
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 200.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 15.2 g