This came from a vegan website.
Make and share this Barbecue Baked Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine water, lentils, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Drain lentils in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Combine lentils and diced onion in an 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, reserved cooking liquid, ketchup, and the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the ketchup mixture over the lentil mixture, stirring to combine.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
I thought these were very good lentils and the BBQ sauce is phenomenal (I'll be stealing it for other recipes- I used honey in place of the syrup). However I personally thought that baking it in a casserole dish for an hour was an unnecessary extra step as it does not ever set up into a solid lentil loaf. Perhaps I had the wrong idea, I was expecting that the bake time in the oven would have this affect but it didn't. It was still very tasty and I think it would be fun to double the sauce and perhaps make this in a crock pot. Or simply stop cooking after the lentils were ready on the stove. Thank you!
This was easy to make with a great taste. I did find that my lentils didn't soften to our liking, and they seemed a little dry. Next time I might cook them longer in the pot phase, and add a bit more liquid to the bake. Thanks, this is a keeper!
This was quite tasty. We did make it non-vegetarian by adding a bag of frozen previously cooked barbequed chicken. But this worked well. The only thing is, that I would have liked it a little saucier. I think next time I'll try to add extra vegetable broth. This is a great one, thanks!