1/2 Photos of Barbari (A Persian Bread)
2 hrs 30 mins
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
Nan-e Barbari is a popular Persian flatbread. It is often eaten with salty soft cheese such as feta with herbs (sabzi) or jam and a cup of tea for breakfast. It is similar to Armenian matnakash bread. I made this once for my Iranian boyfriend's parents and they approved :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour (if not available, add 1 tbs gluten per cup of all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 ounces active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- cornmeal (for bottom of pan)
- poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- 1Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1/2 c water, let sit a few minutes to proof (foam).
- 2Mix bread flour, baking powder and salt together. Make a well in the flour, and slowly incorporate the yeast mixture, and then the remaining 1 cup of water.
- 3Knead 15 minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- 4Divide dough into 2 round pieces.
- 5Sprinkle a large baking sheet with cornmeal, transfer the dough to it. Lightly cover and place in a warm place until doubled in bulk (~1.5 hours).
- 6Meanwhile, bring the glaze ingredients to a boil, let cool. Brush lightly over the dough.
- 7Now for the tricky part! Dip your fingers into the glaze, and punch the dough down with the edges of your hands to form several long parallel ridges along the dough.
- 8Brush the dough with the glaze again, sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 9Carefully stretch the dough lengthwise (it should be approximately 8 inches wide and 18 long-- I never measured it!) until it is about 1/4-1/2" thick.
- 10Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden. The bread should be slightly flexible when done. If you overcook it (as I did in my first attempt- by 8 minutes), it will turn out more like ciabatta-- still good!
- 11Good luck!
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbari (A Persian Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.5
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 332.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 4.7 g