You will love these little falafel balls that are soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside...without frying in oil! Serve in a pita with your favorite cucumber sauce.
- 177.44 ml water
- 118.29 ml Bulgar wheat
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 6.16 ml cumin
- 6.16 ml coriander
- 354.88 ml cooked chickpeas
- 22.18 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml dried breadcrumbs, plus
- 9.85 ml dried breadcrumbs
- 59.14 ml cilantro, minced
- 59.14 ml parsley, minced
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Bring water to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the bulgur.
- Cover well and allow the wheat to sit until all the water is absorbed -- about 20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion is just transparent.
- Add red chili flakes, cumin, and coriander and saute for 1 more minute.
- Combine the chickpeas and bulgur in a food processor. Add the lemon juice, bread crumbs, cilantro, parsley and salt and process until just mixed, and has a pleasing texture.
- Set mixture aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Form falafel mixture into 2 inch balls and place on a lightly oiled sheet pan.
- Spray the balls with some olive oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden, turning the pan once during baking.