You will love these little falafel balls that are soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside...without frying in oil! Serve in a pita with your favorite cucumber sauce.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs, plus
- 2 teaspoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Bring water to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Mix in the bulgur.
- Cover well and allow the wheat to sit until all the water is absorbed -- about 20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion is just transparent.
- Add red chili flakes, cumin, and coriander and saute for 1 more minute.
- Combine the chickpeas and bulgur in a food processor. Add the lemon juice, bread crumbs, cilantro, parsley and salt and process until just mixed, and has a pleasing texture.
- Set mixture aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Form falafel mixture into 2 inch balls and place on a lightly oiled sheet pan.
- Spray the balls with some olive oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden, turning the pan once during baking.