I like that the falafel are baked instead of pan-fried. I have made falafel before that fall apart in the pan. From a borrowed library book "The ultimate book of vegan cooking". Instead of cooking soaked chickpeas by boiling you may prefer to pressure cook them. Gluten-free if gf ingredients are used. Can be served with a salad, on pita bread or with tahini. Cooking time does not include overnight soaking of the beans.
- Place the dried chickpeas in a large bowl and soak overnight in plenty of cold water.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them. Pick over and remove nay discoloured or bad looking chickpeas.
- Place the soaked chickpeas into a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for ten minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for one hour, or until soft. Drain.
- Place the chickpeas into a food processore with the onion, garlic, parsley, crushed cumin, crushed corainder and baking powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Process until the mixture forms a firm paste.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F ).
- Divide the mixture into walnut sized pieces. Roll them into balls in your hands and then flatten them slightly.
- Roll the balls in olive oil and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve falafel immediately.