Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Found on the Whole Foods Website.
Make and share this Baked Barley-Almond Pilaf With Kale recipe from Food.com.
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 1 large purple onion, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml pearl barley, rinsed
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml chili powder (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 2839.08 ml kale, shredded (not packed)
- 946.36 ml water
- 59.14 ml slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about five minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in barley and cook one minute, stirring to coat.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the kale, stirring for 5 to 7 minutes or until kale begins to shrink. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to oven.
- Bake 45 minutes or until barley is tender and most of the water is absorbed. Adjust seasonings to taste and stir in the almonds.