1/2 Photos of Baja Vegetable Stew
From the Ellsworth Cooking School in Ellsworth, Maine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can is 1 1/2 cups and will do)
- 1 cup kidney bean (1 15-oz can is 1 1/2 cups and will do)
- 3/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1In a skillet, roast chilies for 20-30 seconds over high heat.
- 2Remove from heat and let cool.
- 3In a large pot, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat and sautee onions until golden.
- 4Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.
- 5Add tomatoes, broth and chilies.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7In batches in a blender or with a stick blender, puree the soup.
- 8Pour through a fine sieve, cheesecloth or food mill, if desired.
- 9In a skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 10Add bell peppers, zucchini and corn.
- 11Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender- about 4 minutes.
- 12Add to broth mixture with the black beans and kidney beans.
- 13Simmer for 1-2 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- 14Stir in the vingegar and garnish with cilantro, lime wedges and avacado.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baja Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.0
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 343.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 10.8 g