From the Ellsworth Cooking School in Ellsworth, Maine.
Make and share this Baja Vegetable Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup corn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can is 1 1/2 cups and will do)
- 1 cup kidney bean (1 15-oz can is 1 1/2 cups and will do)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- lime wedge
- In a skillet, roast chilies for 20-30 seconds over high heat.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat and sautee onions until golden.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, broth and chilies.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In batches in a blender or with a stick blender, puree the soup.
- Pour through a fine sieve, cheesecloth or food mill, if desired.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers, zucchini and corn.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender- about 4 minutes.
- Add to broth mixture with the black beans and kidney beans.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the vingegar and garnish with cilantro, lime wedges and avacado.
Used chipotles instead of chilis. My husband and I loved this. Too hot for my son. Great complexity of flavor for a relatively simple dish to prepare. The cilantro and avocado topping were a great addition. Superb meatless dish. Bravo!
Loved this super yummy stew!! I used chipotle peppers instead of the red chili and it turned out great. I did add a bit extra broth as I needed to use it up and my veggies were abnormally large. I had mine with avocado and cilantro and crumbled some tortilla chips on top, loved it!!
This recipe is awesome. I was very skeptical while making it because it didn't seem to have much of a "base", but it turned out fantastic!!! The flavors are so complex! Even my non-veg hubby went back for seconds. Thanks!