Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- In large mixer bowl, combine yeast and 1 3/4 cups of flour.
- Combine water, sugar and salt. Add to yeast mixture. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly.
- Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cover, let rest 15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 portions and shape into smooth balls.
- Punch a hole in center of each with a floured finger.
- Pull gently to enlarge hole, working each bagel into uniform shape. Cover, let rise 20 minutes.
- In large kettle combine 1 gallon water and 1 tablespoon sugar; bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature to a simmer.
- Cook bagels 4 or 5 at a time, for 7 minutes, turning once. Drain and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in 375 degrees oven for 30 to 35 minutes.