1/1 Photo of Bagels
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- 2Combine warm water, the 3 Tbsp sugar and the salt. Pour over the flour mixture. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for about 30 seconds scraping the bowl as you mix. Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- 3Stir in as much remaining flour as you can mixing with a spoon.
- 4Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (knead 6-8 minutes total). Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- 5Cut into 12 portions; shape each into a smooth ball. Punch a hole in the center of each. Pull gently to make a 1 1/2-2-inch hole.
- 6Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover, let rise 20 minutes.
- 7Broil 5 inches from heat 3-4 minutes, turning once (tops should not brown).
- 8Heat 1 gallon of water and 1 Tbsp of sugar to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 4 or 5 bagels at a time for 7 minutes, turning once; drain.
- 9Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375: in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- 10Light Rye Bagels Prepare bagels as above. except substitute 1 1/2 cups rye flour for the first 1 1/4 cups of the all-poupose flour.
- 11Herb Bagels Prepare bagels as above, except add 2 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed or 1 tsp dried dill; or 1 tsp. dried tarragon, crushed; or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder to the flour-yeast mixture.
- 12Onion Bagels Prepare as above except cook 1/2 cup finely chopped onion in 3 Tbsp butter till tender but not brown. Brush onion mixture over tops of bagels after first 15 minutes of baking.
- 13Poppy or Sesame Seed Bagels Prepare bagels as above except before baking brush tops with beaten egg; sprinkle with the seed.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (970 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 583.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 5.0 g