1/1 Photo of Aunt Nancy's Cajun Rice and Beans
White Rose Child's Note:
I don't know where my aunt got this recipe- but all I can say is it's nourishing, quick and awfully good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 small green peppers or 1 small red pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 2/3 cups water or 2 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1Put the rice and 2 2/3 cups water or broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients. After rice has been cooking 15-20 minutes, continue as follows.
- 3In a skillet, soften the onion and garlic in a little water.
- 4Stir the next 8 ingredients into the skillet (tomato to pepper). Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- 5When no water is left on the rice and it's just beginning to stick, remove from the heat and let it stand covered. This is important, to allow it to dry and fluff up a bit before serving.
- 6Slightly mash half of the beans. Stir them all into the skillet. Cook partially covered, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 7Serve over rice, garnished with green onions if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Nancy's Cajun Rice and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.6
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 380.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 9.7 g