Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Aunt Edna's pickles always turn out right, and are delicious! Several in the family could eat a whole jar or more if you let us! Eat in a minimum one week, though more than two weeks is recommended.
- 50 small cucumbers (enough for many jars)
- 20 sprigs dill
- 12 -20 cloves garlic, sliced (1 clove per jar)
- 12 cups water
- 4 cups vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- to taste carrot, sliced (optional)
- How many cucumbers? Who knows. Obviously lots.
- Wash cukes and rub off spines.
- Arrange in sterilized jars, add dill, garlic, and a few sliced carrots, if using.
- Bring water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil and pour into jars.
- Seal jars (by hand) then immerse jars in hot water bath for a few minutes to seal.
Hurray for Aunt Edna!!!! My Grandmother made they this way and now I have the recipe to carry on have been searching the web for the missing link all say to saok this I know was not the way we did it we picked and canned. Thanks again. Sharon
These are amazing! Thanks for your recipe. I also varied by slicing up some jalapenos and putting it in the brine with the cucumber and it was perfect.
Wonderful flavour! I added more dill and garlic to all bottles. Loved the carrots. Easy to make. Thanks.