Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an Indonesian side dish that can be served with gado gado or fried rice. I found the recipe elsewhere on the Web, but in Dutch. I recently tried it and it tastes just the way I remember so I thought I'd share. You can add red peppers, onions or leeks if you like. Note that if you use less veggies, you want to keep the other ingredients the same, otherwise it is hard to keep everything submerged during cooking. You can store the atjar in jars and keep for a long time. This recipe works great in the microwave, too.
- Cut the cabbage in small strips (a food processor works great).
- Coarsely grate the carrots.
- Put water and vinegar in a saucepan and add sugar, coriander and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil and add the vegetables.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill and serve.