I love fresh artichokes but did not like how long they took to steam until I discovered this procedure. 3 artichokes done in 11 minutes! How easy and quick is that!? This can also be a prelude to grilled or roasted artichokes if you steam half the amount of time in the microwave and then proceed with the other recipes. Great timesaver!
- Trim the artichokes by cutting off the stem and cutting off the tips of the leaves. *I often cut them in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the choke but you can skip this step.
- Rub the lemon over all the cut parts of the artichokes so it does not brown.
- Place all 3 of the artichokes upside down in a microwaveable dish with a tight fitting lid. *Try a dinner or salad plate on top of your dish if you do not have a lid that exactly fits.
- *I place them upside down so the water is not collected in the artichokes but they can be placed right side up and then squeezed out later.
- Add the water and cover.
- Cook on high for 11 minutes. Check at about 9 minutes since all ovens are not the same, and pierce the hearts with a fork. If they are soft they are done.
- Drain and serve.