1/1 Photo of Artichokes Steamed in the Microwave
I love fresh artichokes but did not like how long they took to steam until I discovered this procedure. 3 artichokes done in 11 minutes! How easy and quick is that!? This can also be a prelude to grilled or roasted artichokes if you steam half the amount of time in the microwave and then proceed with the other recipes. Great timesaver!
My Private Note
- 1Trim the artichokes by cutting off the stem and cutting off the tips of the leaves. *I often cut them in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the choke but you can skip this step.
- 2Rub the lemon over all the cut parts of the artichokes so it does not brown.
- 3Place all 3 of the artichokes upside down in a microwaveable dish with a tight fitting lid. *Try a dinner or salad plate on top of your dish if you do not have a lid that exactly fits.
- 4*I place them upside down so the water is not collected in the artichokes but they can be placed right side up and then squeezed out later.
- 5Add the water and cover.
- 6Cook on high for 11 minutes. Check at about 9 minutes since all ovens are not the same, and pierce the hearts with a fork. If they are soft they are done.
- 7Drain and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Artichokes Steamed in the Microwave
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 121.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 4.2 g