My version of a wonderful recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers. Don't tell'em its healthy just let then enjoy the great flavors of this easy side dish. This dish is 1 point per serving and Core.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch coins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small red onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, coarsely grated
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the cauliflower and carrots. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, add the broccoli. Cook an additional 2 minutes until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Drain the vegetables without rinsing.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the spices and let sizzle for a second or two before adding the steamed vegetables and red onion. Let cook just a minute or two until the spices are distributed and the onions have started to wilt.
- Toss in the vinegar and lemon zest and transfer the salad to a serving bowl. Allow the salad to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
I love the flavors in this. I made it early in the day and let it chill to go along with bison kabobs and Jasmine rice. I was out of red onion and replaced it with green onion (spring onions) because I thought that the yellows would be too strong. My only complaint about this salad is that there isn't enough dressing mix. I made 2 servings and was measuring in 1/8ths and 1/4's of a teaspoon. As the veggies I used were frozen I just defrosted them and mixed the dressing in a 1 ounce portion cup (with everything mixed is was about 1/4 of an ounce) and poured it on the salad veggies and let them chill most of the day. Thanks Toni for a lovely side dish. Made for Photo Tag.
I tought this dish was loaded with flavor. I made step 3 last about 30 seconds, not another two minutes. I think you'll enjoy this a lot more if the vegetables remain crisp and colorful. Use minimal cooking throughout the process. Excellent and tastes great cold, straight from the frig for lunch the next day.
Okay, not the best but when you are looking for bulk food to eat a serving of this is a BIG Serving! After the week of small eating if I just feel like grazing this is tasty, the kids werent thrilled.