The flavor of this sauce is amazing. No more buying jars of salty, high fructose corn syrup BBQ sauces! Take the extra time and make your own. This recipe comes from Veganomicon. The original recipe called for whole apricots, but I've also made this using 1/2 - 3/4 cup apricot preserves or fruit spread, and saved a couple steps. Great over baked tofu, tempeh or seitan strips.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs apricots, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, saute the onions in the oil for 7-10 minutes, until browned.
- Add garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth to deglaze the pan.
- Add apricots, ginger, coriander and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until apricots are soft.
- Uncover and add remaining ingredients.
- Continue to cook another 10 minutes, stirring and mashing the apricots.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Transfer to blender and puree until smooth.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Originally made this sauce as a gift for several friends (one who is NOT vegan, & the other who id definitely vegan), but did keep some to use for myself! Now I'm NOT vegan, either, so it'll be used in part over some 'other' things, but I also tried it over some 'chicken' tofu, & gotta admit that it really make a WONDERFUL difference ~ I could even get to liking tofu! Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my partners in my vegan group in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap]
This was really good. I baked marinated tofu and then added the apricot bbq sauce in the last ten minutes of baking. I did not have molassas so i just mixed in a bunch of brown sugar to the heating mixture.