Chef #208121's Note:
Note this is modified from http://www.icuc-iwmi.org/Recipe_of_the_month/recipe_July%202006.htm
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the water and add amaranth, bring back to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- 2Wash spinach, then simmer until tender.
- 3Blanch tomatoes to remove skin if desired then peel and chop [I leave the skin on]
- 4Heat a skillet over medium heat and add garlic and onion with a bit of broth [or oil]. Saute about 2 minutes then add tomato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt [Or Dash], pepper and 1 tablespoon of water.
- 5Drain and chop spinch and add to tomato mixture cooking for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir so that you mush the tomato up a bit if desired [I sometimes leave it a bit chunky].
- 6Stir the sauce into the amaranth or spoon it on top.
- 7Notes: I use Mrs Dash Tomato and Garlic blend the most. Amaranth leaves can be used in place of spinach if you can find them.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amaranth With Tomato Type Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.5
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 79.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 11.3 g