Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Note this is modified from http://www.icuc-iwmi.org/Recipe_of_the_month/recipe_July%202006.htm
Make and share this Amaranth With Tomato Type Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Boil the water and add amaranth, bring back to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- Wash spinach, then simmer until tender.
- Blanch tomatoes to remove skin if desired then peel and chop [I leave the skin on]
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add garlic and onion with a bit of broth [or oil]. Saute about 2 minutes then add tomato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt [Or Dash], pepper and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Drain and chop spinch and add to tomato mixture cooking for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir so that you mush the tomato up a bit if desired [I sometimes leave it a bit chunky].
- Stir the sauce into the amaranth or spoon it on top.
- Notes: I use Mrs Dash Tomato and Garlic blend the most. Amaranth leaves can be used in place of spinach if you can find them.