Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Note this is modified from http://www.icuc-iwmi.org/Recipe_of_the_month/recipe_July%202006.htm
Make and share this Amaranth With Tomato Type Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Boil the water and add amaranth, bring back to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- Wash spinach, then simmer until tender.
- Blanch tomatoes to remove skin if desired then peel and chop [I leave the skin on]
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add garlic and onion with a bit of broth [or oil]. Saute about 2 minutes then add tomato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt [Or Dash], pepper and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Drain and chop spinch and add to tomato mixture cooking for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir so that you mush the tomato up a bit if desired [I sometimes leave it a bit chunky].
- Stir the sauce into the amaranth or spoon it on top.
- Notes: I use Mrs Dash Tomato and Garlic blend the most. Amaranth leaves can be used in place of spinach if you can find them.
Nice, solid recipe for amaranth. Good taste and very good instructions, so four stars. Just have to remark that after 18 minutes my amaranth was more porridge-like than grainy, but that's just for consistency, not for taste I guess. The recipe is a nice base for variations on the theme :) Thanks for sharing!
Made for Healthy Choices ABC.