Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great Indian recipe I got from the Betty Crocker Indian cookbook. Great tasty recipe and easy to make for a nice side or main dish. I also add chickpeas and cauliflower for more vegetables. The calories from the book per serving are: 85 cal 2g fat 420mg sodium 17g carbs 3g protein
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled, and cut into 2 inch squares
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- Spray saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and stir fry for 1-2 minutes till golden brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, ground pepper and turmeric, stir fry for 1-2 minutes till tomatoes are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except the Garam Masaala, boil, then reduce to medium-low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes until sauce is thick.
- Add Garam Masaala.
Wonderful and easy side dish, especially good for giving a diet meal some punch. Other than using canned tomatoes and parsley in place of the cilantro, I made this as written and we enjoyed it thoroughly and will make it again.