From TOH Everyday Light Meals cookbook and they suggest serving it with pork for dinner, but I think it would be equally as good for breakfast or brunch. Make sure you allow time for this to be refrigerated overnight.
- Grate enough peel from the oranges, grapefruit, lemon and lime to measure 1 tablespoon of mixed citrus peel; set peel aside.
- To section citrus fruit, cut a thin slice off the bottom and top of the oranges, grapefruit, lemon and lime.
- Place each fruit cut side down on a cutting board.
- With a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith. Holding fruit over abowl, slice between the membrane fo each section and the fruit unti lthe knife reaches the center; remove sections and place in a glass bowl. Set 1/2 cup juice aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and reserved peel and juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Cool; stir in extract. Pour over fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds.