Um Safia's Note:
M'hajeb are infamous in Algeria & Morocco - where they are also known as M'semmen. They are a fine pastry made of semolina & filled with a delicious mix of tomato, onion & sometimes peppers. M'hajeb keep well in the freezer when individually wrapped & any leftover pastry makes a lovely breakfast when served with honey. M'hajeb are very popular all year round but they are frantically devoured during Ramadan!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 onions
- 2 tablespoons concentrated tomato puree
- 2 green peppers (the very large Algerian mildly hot peppers)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 2Slice the onions in fine rings. Slice the peppers into fine strips ( many people remove skin first) and fry together in a little olive oil until softened. (If using the hot pepper, de-skin then puree, add to the onions & peppers.) Add the puree, salt and pepper and cook covered, for approx 5 minutes or until soft and well flavoured. Set aside to cool.
- 4*To make the pastry, it's easiest if you have a mixer with a dough hook or a bread maker set on the dough setting.*.
- 5Mix the semolina and the flour in a mixer of place in the bread machine. Make a hollow in the centre, add a little salt and enough water to bring to a stiff dough. Knead well. Add a little more water, a bit at a time until the dough is finally a soft elastic consistency - this is usually around 8-10 minutes.
- 6Wehen the dough it nice and elastic, pull of pieces and roll into golf balls. The secret is to have EVERYTHING WELL OILED -- Oil your hands, the work surface and the m'rie or large skillet / chappati pan.
- 7Take a golf ball at a time and gently stretch out as thin as you can. It's easiest to do this on a well oiled work surface. If uyou get a few little holes, don't worry - you can patch them up and nobody will mind!
- 8Place a spoonful of filling in the centre and fold the edges in one at a time (left, right, top, bottom), to form a rough square shaped parcel. Fry until golden on both sides - you have to be very attentive here or they will burn!
- 9Any dough left over can be cooked plain and served with honey (great for suhor!).
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian M'hajeb - Traditional Filled Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.0
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 10.2 g