Um Safia's Note:
M'hajeb are infamous in Algeria & Morocco - where they are also known as M'semmen. They are a fine pastry made of semolina & filled with a delicious mix of tomato, onion & sometimes peppers. M'hajeb keep well in the freezer when individually wrapped & any leftover pastry makes a lovely breakfast when served with honey. M'hajeb are very popular all year round but they are frantically devoured during Ramadan!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 onions
- 2 tablespoons concentrated tomato puree
- 2 green peppers (the very large Algerian mildly hot peppers)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 2Slice the onions in fine rings. Slice the peppers into fine strips ( many people remove skin first) and fry together in a little olive oil until softened. (If using the hot pepper, de-skin then puree, add to the onions & peppers.) Add the puree, salt and pepper and cook covered, for approx 5 minutes or until soft and well flavoured. Set aside to cool.
- 4*To make the pastry, it's easiest if you have a mixer with a dough hook or a bread maker set on the dough setting.*.
- 5Mix the semolina and the flour in a mixer of place in the bread machine. Make a hollow in the centre, add a little salt and enough water to bring to a stiff dough. Knead well. Add a little more water, a bit at a time until the dough is finally a soft elastic consistency - this is usually around 8-10 minutes.
- 6Wehen the dough it nice and elastic, pull of pieces and roll into golf balls. The secret is to have EVERYTHING WELL OILED -- Oil your hands, the work surface and the m'rie or large skillet / chappati pan.
- 7Take a golf ball at a time and gently stretch out as thin as you can. It's easiest to do this on a well oiled work surface. If uyou get a few little holes, don't worry - you can patch them up and nobody will mind!
- 8Place a spoonful of filling in the centre and fold the edges in one at a time (left, right, top, bottom), to form a rough square shaped parcel. Fry until golden on both sides - you have to be very attentive here or they will burn!
- 9Any dough left over can be cooked plain and served with honey (great for suhor!).
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Algerian M'hajeb - Traditional Filled Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.0
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 10.2 g