Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A luscious tropical drink perfect for lifting you out of the summer doldrums. May be made up to a week ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups papayas, seeded,peeled,coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons sugar (more, if needed)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- Choose very ripe fruit; peel, seed, and coarsely chop.
- Smoothly puree measured fruit pulp and juice (a portion at a time, if needed) in blender with sugar and lime juice.
- Add flavored fruit mixture to water, then rub through a fine strainer into a large jar or pitcher and discard pulp.
- Pour the agua fresca over ice cubes into tall glasses.
- Slices or chunks of matching fruit may be added as garnish just before serving.
This was a great way to get my kids to eat (drink) the papaya I buy for myself but can never finish on my own. My daughter's not a huge lime fan, so I halved the amount of lime juice called for, but it was still good that way. I squeezed some extra lime into my own glass, nice and tart flavour, good stuff.
I didn't strain and drank it nice and cold. Great way to get lots of fruit! Thanks! Made for I Recommend Tag.
What a tart and fruity delight, and it only took a few minutes to make. I doubled the recipe, using just 2 cups of water and put everything into my blender. It came out so smooth that I didn't even have to strain the mixture. I served it to my son and a group of his friends, and they all gave it a thumbs up! This is the first time I'd ever tried papaya, but they will be in my shopping cart from now on so I can have more of this delicious treat!