Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a spicy, exciting change to traditional shrimp cocktail sauce. It's fun to watch people try it for the first time. :-) Cook time includes cooling time.
Red Pepper Paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup paprika
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce
- Red Pepper Paste: Process all paste ingredients except paprika in blender until smooht, scraping sides frequently.
- Heat paprika in 1-qt saucepan for 1 minute.
- Add spice mixture gradually, stirring until smooth.
- Heat, stirring occasionally until hot, about 3 minutes.
- To make dipping sauce: Mix chili sauce with 2 Tbsp red pepper paste.
- Serve with cooked, chilled shrimp.
- Leftover paste keeps well in refrigerator for the next batch.