This hearty stew that originated in areas of South and East Africa. Potatoes, both sweet and white, as well as cauliflower, calcium-rich greens, raisins, and spices make a savory and nourishing meal to warm us on cold winter nights. Serve topped with rice, couscous, or quinoa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cauliflower head, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups thinly-sliced collard greens
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions and garlic, cooking them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- 2Add ginger, cinnamon,poppy seeds, mustard seeds, coriander, and cloves and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- 3Add potato to the mixture an stir to combine. Stir in 4 cups of water and turn heat up to high and bring to a boil, add the teaspoon of salt and stir well. Turn heat to low and simmer stew, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add cauliflower, sweet potato, collard greens, and raisins, stirring to combine. Continue cooking for 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- 5Season stew with vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. If the stew is too dry, add a little water. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Potato and Collard Green Stew
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.6
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 655.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 8.5 g