Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am always on the lookout for a delicious dahl recipe to serve with roti. This one hits the mark as it incorporates tomatoes and potatoes and is fairly watery - which is what I prefer to dry dahls!
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 potatoes, peeled & sliced roughly
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup canned chopped tomato
- 185 g red lentils or 185 g brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Place all ingredients except garam masala into a saucepan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (or microwave, covered on HIGH for 12 minutes).
- Stir in garam masala, cover and leave for 2-3 minutes for flavours to blend.
Good Dahl. I made this as directed and served it a couple of times with various curries. I also froze some and used it about 2 months later and it was still great. Thanks for the posting. I highly recommend this recipe.
Very easy to make with lovely flavors. Other than using crushed tomatoes I made no modifications. I prepared on the stovetop. Served with garlic naan and a parsnip/chickpea curry. Thanks for posting!